Playing tennis is difficult enough, without the proper shoe, it can be a painful experience. After reviewing 5 best men's tennis shoes of 2011, we also looked at all of the tennis shoes that are available today for women and came up with a fantastic list of five of the best 2011 has to offer. Depending on the type of court, and the unique foot of the individual, some shoes will work better than others.
1. Nike Lunar Speed 3 ($59.99-$120). Nike has always produced a high quality shoe. This particular piece of footwear is great for tennis players with a wider foot and a normal arch. With a weight of only about 11 ounces, this shoe will give the support necessary without weighing down the athlete. With lots of support and long-lasting construction, this is a great shoe for speed and agility. No wonder top WTA players like Maria Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka prefer this shoe to others. It is available in light blue, yellow, gray and white making it a perfect fit for any outfit.
2. Adidas Barricade adilibria ($125). This classic tennis shoe is now in its sixth incarnation. It has been around for ten years and has a lot of success behind it. The shoe runs a little large, so it is recommended that women purchase a half size smaller than they usually wear. It fits a normal width foot with a normal arch. Weighing in at a little under 14 ounces, it will not slow down the athlete. However, ladies will need to break in this shoe. The shoe is a favorite of top WTA Adidas ambassadors like Carolina Wozniacki, Andrea Petkovic and Maria Kirilenko, and is available in the variety of colors - from neutral gray to bright blue and pink. It retails for $125 on most of the websites, but you can get it for less on Tennis Express and Holabird Sports.
3. Nike Zoom Breathe 2K11 ($89.99). This new version of last year’s 2k10, is already becoming a classic. The great thing about this shoe is the construction material. The mesh-like fabric allows air circulation and keeps the athlete cooler while wearing it. Ladies want to play tennis, not worry about how hot their feet are. These are produced for women with normal width feet and normal arches. With no break in period, these shoes are ready whenever the athlete is. This shoe is a choice of a great number of athletes including Petra Kvitova, Sabine Lisicki and Venus Williams. And guess what? It's on sale!
4. Asics Gel Resolution 3 ($115). Ever wondered why Lacoste ambassador Samantha Stosur wears Asics footwear? Manufactured with a true athlete in mind, this shoe has a technology behind it. While the shoe is being worn, the memory foam inside molds itself to the wearer’s foot and giving a unique and perfect fit. At about 13 ounces, this tennis shoe is lighter than some of the other Asics models, and are for women with a medium width foot and a normal arch. Find it for less at Tennis Express and Holabird Sports.
5. K-Swiss Speedster Tennis ($84.99) - the choice of Vera Zvonareva. Built to last, this tennis shoe is ready to go with no break in period. The superfoam cushion fits a medium width and normal arch. Not only extremely durable, but this shoe, at about 11 ounces, it is one of the lightest of the tennis shoes on this list. No matter the court surface, this shoe will work fine.
Whichever shoe is chosen, always make sure the shoe is the correct size. Improperly fitting tennis shoes can create blisters and sore feet that will wreak havoc with the athlete’s ability to play. Giving the shoes the required break in period before using them in a match is recommended.